Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Trustful Expectation

My children are now in their early 20s.  They’re not little boys any more.  My full-time parenting days are pretty much over.  Anyone that knows me, knows that I’m a bit strong-willed.  So are my boys.  I also have the need to be in control.

Not my best trait.

By middle school, Kale figured out that we had his best interest at heart, and he was pretty submissive even though he didn’t always like our answer.  Tyler, on the other hand, found ways to buck the system and do things his way.

Not HIS best trait. It also didn’t bode well in the high school years.

While Tyler and I have always loved one another, for most of his life we’ve been in a battle of the wills and I’ve been on the losing end more times than I wish to count.  (He’d probably say the same thing.)  But, I’ve never given up or compromised my principals.

Last night at church, Steve talked about HOPE.  He said “Hope is trustful expectation.  Believing that God WILL intervene on your behalf.”

He went on to say that…

“Faith is believing God CAN do something, Hope is believing God WILL do something.”

Ever since my boys were born I’ve prayed for them.  And when the parenting road got rough, I continued to pray… and HOPE.  Believing that everything we taught them and modeled for them over the years would matter and trusting that God would answer my prayers.

Yesterday at lunch, Tyler said something to me that made every hurt, every worry, every fear, every tear seem worth it and it melted this momma’s heart.  I’ll never forget it… his words or the sincerity in them.

Because, whenever I look into these eyes…

Tyler senior pic 2007

I still see him…

Tyler 1990  Christmas 1990 Fester Fester chewing gum1992 Ty and KatMe and Tyler 1993

Tyler and me 1993

Thank you, Tyler.  You made my day!

14 comments:

Dorothy said...

Jacquie, What a wonderful post and a great reward for the trials of parenting! He's is so cute and I know he has a bright future!

Becky said...

I got goose bumps reading your post this morning! I'm glad you had a wonderful time with Tyler yesterday.

Kayla said...

This post does my heart good. You did an amazing job parenting them...and they both know it!

Happy birthday to you!

See y'all in 11 days :)

Lauren said...

Absolutely beautiful, he is sooo handsome :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I think one of God's greatest blessings and rewards are the days that our children demonstrate the "learning" that we worked so hard to instill in them. It just makes it all worth it. blessings, marlene

His Doorkeeper said...

The hardest thing about parenting is probably the ability to "stay with it" or "hang in there" with the love, the patience and also the example that go along with learning responsibility. But the rewards are great for a grown child who does the right thing and is a joy forever!

You and David are wonderful parents!

Anonymous said...

I think Tanner and Tyler are cut from the same cloth!!!

beckylbranch said...

Oh this was the SWEETEST post ever! I'm so glad-sometimes we kids can turn around and actually realize our parents are smarter than WE think they are! LOL! I know he loves you and you are a GREAT Momma...much love, Becky

Kelly said...

OH this post made me so sad. Tyler was the absolute cutest little boy I've ever laid eyes on......he grew up way too fast.
You are such a good mom!!!

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to my BFF! Thank you for all of the fun, and we've had a blast! Looking for many more in the future! Love Jo Jo

Kelley said...

Happy Birthday! Whatever he said, I am so glad that it made your day. You are a sweetheart! It is evident with your posts that you love your boys. My Mary-Kate is strong willed too. I know she will make an awesome adult, it is just getting her there that is the tough part. Ha!

Betsy said...

What a great post, Jacquie...and one every mom can relate to!! I know you have been a wonderful mom ever since God blessed you with your two sweet boys and whatever words were said to you...you deserved to hear them!! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love that definition of hope!!! And I loved this post.

Happy belated birthday too. Hope your day was wonderful.

petrii said...

Jacquie,
How GREAT!! And he is a cutie, little tike all grown up.

I love these pics, and I'm so glad you had this time with Tyler.

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn