Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Family Tree

Family Tree

I got an invitation a week or two ago from my cousin, Becky, in California to join a family tree website (www.geni.com). 

Geni

I LOVE that stuff, so I jumped right in and added my parents’ and siblings’ information (that took a while) and later added my mom’s family’s information.  I invited some of my siblings and cousins and it began to bud.

My cousin, Linda (my Aunt Rosemary’s oldest daughter), is a whiz at it.  She’s added lots of fun pictures, filled in several branches, and invited a bunch more relatives. And now it’s in full bloom!

So far my family stats show that I have 154 blood relatives and 48 ancestors.  It’s amazed me to see how far-reaching our family tree is – and we’re just getting started.

If any of you are familiar with social networks (like Facebook), Geni.com is like a social network that includes a family tree, profiles for each person, photo albums, a message wall, and many tools to enable you to keep in touch with and see how you’re related to all your family members. It’s so fun.

One of the pictures my cousin Linda posted is of our grandfather, who I’ve posted several pictures of before.  I absolutely love this picture. (I always think of Kale when I see old pictures of Grandpa.)

Grandpa_Morris_-_young_handsome_original

You can tell from his physique that Grandpa was an athlete.  He was committed to exercise and fitness – I’ll always remember that about him.  He was a speed-walker.  He actually qualified to compete at the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles, but wasn’t able to attend because he didn’t have the money to get there. That was before big money sponsorships.  But, even in his latter years he still worked out.

Speaking of working out … today was weigh-in day and I was down TWO pounds.  Better than I’d hoped for.  Only four more to goal.

1 comments:

The Garners said...

What a neat picture of your Grandpa!

Congratulations on the weight loss! In 20 weeks (or maybe a little less), I'm going to have some big-time weight loss goals to work toward! I guess all I can do for the next 20 weeks is try not to gain TOO much!