Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Haunted House

spooky-house

I don’t do fear.  I just don’t.  Can’t watch a scary movie. Can’t look at a snake on the TV.  Well, I can, but then I’d have to deal with the ensuing nightmares.  It’s really not all that funny, since I’ve got a history of panic attacks, so being scared is not a place I really like to go… especially by self-inflicting it.

So, last year, when Tyler wanted us to go to the Haunted House his student government group puts on at the college, I was like… You’re crazy!  But, Jodi and Gary wanted to check it out… and Tyler begged us to go.  So we went.

I was so worked up before we went in that I was nearly sick to my stomach.  Tyler promised he wouldn’t let anything happen to me, so I mustered up the nerve and leaped right off that cliff.

As it turned out, Tyler was our tour guide.  Gary led the way through the maze of a spook house and Jodi held onto the back of his shirt while I held onto the back of her shirt and Dave held onto the back of my shirt.  And laugh… oh my, we laughed!

Last night, my sweet kiddos came in from Fayetteville for the weekend and we treated them to our little secret happy place.  Gary, Jodi, Kale, Kayla, David and I all went to the Haunted House and requested Tyler be our tour guide… cuz he’s hilarious! 

Just before we went in, all the people in line had told us how much MORE scary it was than last year… and I started to get a little nervous.

Tyler had a couple young boys up front in line with him, so I MADE Jodi go first, then I held on tight to the back of her jacket.  To the rear of us, were Dave (holding on to me), Gary, Kayla and Kale (who protected Kayla).

The first room was a blur.  I really only remember one thing from that room, but from that point on we laughed and screamed and I nearly wet my britches!  I decided it might be fun to find some scary stuff that Jodi hadn’t seen yet, and at the last minute sort of jerk her over toward it.  Worked! I got a few good screams out of her.

After we got out, we wanted to go through again, but decided we’d just mark our calendars for next year instead.  It’s becoming our annual Halloween tradition.

We went for ice cream afterwards and laughed all over again recounting all the nuances of the little Haunted House.  I only wish I would’ve gotten a picture!!

I’m just giving a little shout out to Tyler and the SGA group at his college… y’all put SO much work into this project each year.  And it was fun!! 

Oh, and Brenda… you would’ve had such a good laugh!!!

5 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

I'm with you...I hate to be scared. I know it is fake and I tell myself that as I go through. But I just don't like it!! So I just stay home.....it's not so scary! har

Sounds like you all had a fun night!

Becky said...

I'm a scaredy-cat too! Sounds like you guys had a great time. The ice cream had to have been the best part though!

The Garners said...

This is funny! I don't like scary stuff either. I might have endured it for the ice cream.

Betsy said...

That sounds like so much fun! I don't get scared very easily, but a good Haunted House can make you just about jump out of your skin!!

Melissa said...

OMG! I would have wet my pants too! I do not like to be scared, but something happened as I got older because I saw Texas Chainsaw Masacre when I was younger and all kinds of other maddness! My mama would die if she knew 'cause we snuck in! :)
Happy fall!