Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Lord Has Granted Me What I Asked of Him

babyshower-350btn2

Back in 1986, one night as I lay in my bed, I prayed… “Lord, if you’ll just give me a child, I’ll give him back to You.  I just want a baby to love.

I meant it with all my heart.

What I didn’t know is that a very long time before me a young woman named Hannah, in the depths of her despair, prayed a very similar prayer to the very same God. All she wanted was a child to love… and He granted her what she asked of Him. (1 Samuel 1)

And He granted me my deepest desire as well.  I found out very shortly afterward that I was pregnant with Kale. (Technically, I was pregnant at that moment!)

I truly believe children are a blessing from the Lord.  I have never been the same since that night 22+ years ago.

My children have blessed me beyond measure.

“But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.” (Luke 2:19)

Finding out I was pregnant.

Hearing the first heartbeat.

Feeling the first “flutter”.

Looking into the eyes of my newborn baby for the very first time.

Nursing.

Feeling their heart beat against mine.

The way they smell after a bath.

The first tooth.

The first step.

Sleeping with them when they’re sick.

Praying with them to “ask Jesus into their hearts”.

The first day of school.

Christmas morning.

Spying through the window at them at their first school dance.

Watching them play sports.

Leg wrestling.

A hug at a ballgame – in public.

Going to the movies together.

Graduation.

Hearing the words “I Love You.”

Those are some of the things I ponder in my heart… and there are so many more!

My friend, Kelly, and her husband, Scott, have prayed for a child and God has granted them what they’ve asked.  I can’t think of any two people who have more love to give a child than them.  As they prepare for the arrival of precious, enormously loved, little Harper Brown, I want to let them know that I am praying for them.

Kelly used to babysit my children.  So, it has been such fun for me watching Kelly’s little belly grow.  The anticipation of whether “it” was “Harper” or “Hudson”.  Hearing about the “firsts” of pregnancy. I’m even more excited about the joy set before them (and Harper’s grandparents).

If I could give any practical advice it would be to:

  • Write things down, You will forget.
  • Take lots of pictures (like there’s any danger of that being an issue).
  • Be consistent (the HARDEST part of parenting, because they know how to wear you out!!).
  • Read to her (another one I didn’t have to clue you in on).

Kelly, you already have such a nurturing, loving heart… motherhood will be second-nature for you.  (Oh, you’ll be calling Momma plenty! Believe me.) But, there’s no doubt that Harper will FEEL loved because of the heart that God gave you. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us!!

“Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4)

15 comments:

Susie said...

This is such a sweet post! I'm not a mom so I can only imagine all the wonderful things moms get to experience. Congrats to your friend on her baby. Congrats to you on your 2 pounds. That's exciting!

Jenna said...

Jacquie, this post was so great! I love the list of all the things your treasured as a mama. So sweet! Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement and advice for Scott and Kelly. You can tell how dear Kelly is to you! Thanks for coming to the shower!

Kelly said...

This was so sweet! I love not only what a good mom you were back then - but how close you are to your boys now! You are a role model to me!!!!!
And yes - I will be calling my mom a LOT! :-)

Heather said...

Thanks so much for coming to the shower! I got tears when I read through your list on "things pondered" about your children. What a precious gift!

The Comptons said...

Glad you "stopped" by my blog! Siloam has a special place in our hearts! We went there growing up and Doug has been camp pastor there for over 10 yrs now! Our first son, Levi, has attended every year of his life with us and we plan to take Lane next summer so he can grow up there, too! Maybe you can give us tips on raising boys!!
Have a great day!
Amy

Whitney said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I loved YOUR post! And, I love your blog!

Sara said...

What a beautiful post. I have tears in my eyes remembering all those special times with my little babies. Thanks for stopping by my blog, too! :)

Hopechest Bride said...

That was so beautiful. I can't believe our kidos are the same age..he he. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will be visiting yours often.
Lisa

Outnumbered 4 to 1 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is a beautiful post. Also thanks for the compliment on my family. I am pretty proud of them! God bless!

amy (metz) walker said...

Such a sweet post!

Jennifer said...

LOVED your post too!

And what a cool header on your blog.

And isn't Stellan's story amazing too?!?

Gosh, our God is just so good.

beckylbranch said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and saying hello! You have a very CUTE blog as well. I'll have to keep up with it. Also, thank you for your prayers...it means so much! Hope you have a wonderful week! Becky

Faith said...

What a sweet post! I love the list of things you have pondered in your heart...so sweet!

Thanks so much for being a part of the shower. And, thank you for your sweet comment and your prayers for us as we continue to wait...it means so much!

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was nice to meet someone new!! Thank you for praying for Bryan and I!

Leigh Ann said...

Jacquie, this was SO sweet. I cried.
I love the list you "ponder in your heart." Tears!

You go girl on your two pounds. You are already 1/3 of the way there!