Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Stuff That Thrills Me

I’m a little obsessive compulsive.  When I get my mind on something, it just doesn’t go away until, well, I get my mind on something else.  But, lately I’ve had my mind on these …

kettlebells

… Kettlebells.

Kettlebells resemble cannonballs or bowling balls with handles.  They’ve been around for centuries as a Russian training tool and have made a comeback in the fitness field.

They provide a full body workout combining cardio, strength training, flexibility and core conditioning all in one.  An explosive, controlled lift requires use of all your muscles… all the while burning lots of calories.  Because the workouts are intense, you can save lots of time in the gym with shorter workouts.  It’s also supposed to be wicked fun to boot.

Here’s a sample of basic kettlebell moves:

Kettlebell basics - demo

Because I’m a freak, I love to put myself through grueling workouts… so the more I read and see about these “toys” the more interested I become.  I’ve been reading about kettlebells for a year or so.  Lately these babies have been calling my name, but before I invest in any (they’re a bit pricey) I’d like to hear if any of you have done kettlebell training. If so, I’d love to hear your opinion?

6 comments:

Kale Wallace said...

I've been using them... ...I had to buy new shirts with larger sleeves.

Becky said...

I must live a sheltered life because I've never heard of a "kettle ball". But, I have heard of "kettle corn". LOL! Now that's a horse of a different color! Have a GREAT weekend!

Susie said...

I've never seen those myself but I can see how they would intensify a workout. I think that is really cool that you are a personal trainer!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm a little OCD too, but not about exercise! LOL!

Jacquie, I laughed out loud at the first comment on this post. My *sarcastic self* was tempted to write that same thing.

I'm glad one of us is jazzed about fitness and working out. I'm so sadly out of shape.

Betsy said...

I have never heard of a kettle ball! Maybe that's because I am the opposite of you...I hate putting myself through grueling workouts! haha

Melissa said...

That's interesting. I like to work out too, but I think I would knock myself out with these! Sorry! I can't help ya! You need to do a post if you get some and tell us more!