Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Favorites Tuesday

Kim, over at “Deliberate Hope” is hosting a Blog Party.  Every Tuesday until the end of the year is “Favorites Tuesday”.  This week we’re posting about our favorite “something” about Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Food

Thanksgiving_feast_Crop

I have to say that my absolute favorite Thanksgiving food is my mother’s stuffing.  We’ve never done the southern “bread dressing”… I was raised on “meat stuffing”. YUM! And it’s twice as good when it’s covered in turkey gravy.  Oh, I just can’t wait!  I look forward to Mom’s stuffing more than I do any food on the menu, including dessert.

Thanksgiving Foolishness

Thanksgiving animals

One year, my younger sister brought home a new boyfriend at Thanksgiving.  I’ve always wondered what it would be like as a "newcomer” to attend a holiday event at our house –I’m guessing it might be a tad overwhelming??  Anyway, she brought home this new beau who was sitting nervously by the fireplace. 

When it came time to serve dinner, my sister began to fix a plate for him.  My older sister, Suzanne (#3), and I decided it would be funny to sort of initiate the poor boy and put the turkey “derriere” on his plate instead of a nice juicy slice of meat.  When the plate was handed to him, Suz and I stood at a distance and watched his reaction.  He just stared at his plate.  He didn’t quite know what to do.  We got a good laugh and told him it was a joke and fixed him an appropriate plate. 

It really was in good fun, but I don’t think it went over well with him.

Needless to say, holidays are quite an occasion when you have a large family.  If I counted right, and I could be off by one or two, there is a potential for 65 people to attend our holiday meals – family members alone.  That includes my parents, my siblings and their children, and now their spouses and children.

My parents still host all the holiday suppers.  They have a 12’ dining table that helps with eating arrangements and a large deck on the back of the house that provides a little more room.  We’re expecting 30+ people this Thursday in which to share the day and the meal.  There won’t be one silent moment– unless it happens during the blessing– but that’s my family and I wouldn’t want it any other way!

How many will be at your Thanksgiving meal?

Do you have Thanksgiving “lunch” or “supper”?

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Yes - I can't imagine Thanksgiving with your family!!!
We will have 6 for thanksgiving this year??? VERY small. And we eat lunch. (and dinner.......) ha!

Becky said...

Pretty obvious that guy probably isn't your brother-in-law. Right? That sounds exactly like something we would do at our house.

My family VERY small. My mom, siblings, spouses and grand bring in a bil ole total of ten. And we will be have supper at our house. Now Alvin's family on the other hand, around forty six and we don't see them on Thanksgiving.

Now my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is my moms dressing. Oh my gosh, I'm about to die because she is celebrating at my brothers this year in Tulsa. Boo Hoo! But I'll get her back for Christmas. YIPPEE!!!

Susie said...

We are having our Thanksgiving at my in-laws home. There will probably be about 12 if they all come. I don't know if you call it dinner or lunch. We are eating around 2:00.

Loved your funny story. Poor guy!

Anonymous said...

Holy large family, Batman! As an only child, our Thanksgivings were much smaller. And, much less entertaining, I am SURE. My husband, Kris, likes the stuffing and turkey gravy, too. Unfortunately for him, I am the one cooking and he gets what he gets :-) Kris' dad is coming out for Thanksgiving this year and we have one friend joining us. It will be small but big on food.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I LOVE big family get togethers, Jacquie! And your family sounds like a lot of fun.

So...did that boyfriend "stick" and become a brother-in-law? :) That was a funny story.

Hey, have you ever watched The Family Stone?

Andi Hawkins said...

I am so excited to see all these new blogs! What a cute blog title and pic. I am just starting out with two boys of my own so I look forward to reading the wisdom of someone who has been here already!

jenn said...

Wow! And I thought we had alot of people. We usually have around 40. We're doing lunch this year because my mom is a nurse and has to work that evening and has to drive two hours to get home. Usually we eat about 3pm.

Anonymous said...

How Fun!! As an only child I always wanted to be a part of BIG family. I would love to come and watch all the dynamics of a holiday dinner with 30+ or imagine 65 People.

Ours will be small this year just the 5 of us. I too am a stuffing feind. Having just lost 50 pounds I am not sure how much stuffing I will get to enjoy. :)

Have a blessed holiday!!

Natalie Witcher said...

Oh man, I thought WE had a big family! So great that you have such a gift of family! Love your blog header, by the way!

So glad you're in the Favorites Party!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

People from large families always have the best stories! I am the 4th of 8 children - 7 girls then a boy! My brother adjusted quite well so don't feel too sorry for him! He is married and has 5 boys and 1 girl himself now! We all live all over the country so there are no big extended family gatherings for Thanksgiving, but for my parents' 50th anniversary a few years ago, all 8 children and their spouses, children, and grandchildren came together to celebrate. It was quite a gathering and so nice for the 50-something first cousins to get to know each other a little.

My little branch of the family will have a quite Thanksgiving dinner in the late afternoon, after going to the high school football game in the morning where my oldest will be playing in the band for the last time as she is a senior this year. Then we will have company later in the evening for dessert. Not exactly the kind of Thanksgiving I grew up with, but certainly something to be thankful for nonetheless.

MGM

Betsy said...

Goodness....you win the prize for most people!! I thought we had a big family, but not THAT many!! We will probably have about 20 people this year. I love your story about your sister's boyfriend! Too funny! :)

amy (metz) walker said...

Ha! Poor guy...I wouldn't have known what to do either! But I'm laughing just thinking about it!

His Doorkeeper said...

I hope ALL your family has a wonderful time together!
Happy Thanksgiving Jacquie!
We are truly thankful for you!

judycolby said...

Tag! You're it! Someone just tagged my blog, and now I'm tagging yours:). Check out my blog for details and play along!

I found your blog from http://stitchinbythelake.blogspot.com/
I loved your mother's diary.