Saturday, April 9, 2011

342– A Funeral and a Birthday Celebration

Our day started with my uncle’s funeral.  I always dread funerals.  They make me so sad.  But, they also remind me of what’s really important in life… and funerals almost always bring family and friends together who haven’t seen each other in a while – many times since the last funeral.  I am so thankful for a HUGE extended family and wish that we could spend a lot more time together.
After the funeral, we came home and just hung out.  Tyler had just got home from a church ministry project and Daisy and Maddie had just shown up. David went to check the cows and then to Ms. Charlsie’s to do some garden work. I read for a while, until my eyes started getting heavy and then I ended up napping when Maddie napped. (“One Tuesday Morning” so far is SO good!!!)
Tonight, several friends got together at a restaurant to celebrate Jodi’s birthday, which is tomorrow.  We had such a good time visiting.  Maddie enjoyed all the excitement, too.
When we got home, she wanted a bath.  She LOVES bath time.  I took these pictures of her brushing her wet hair like a big girl.

040911 (1)040911 (3)040911 (4)
She makes my heart smile.
* * * * * * In Memory * * * * *
Richard "Dick" Vinton Hood
November 29, 1935 - April 3, 2011
Richard Hood
Richard “Dick” Hood, 75 years old, departed this life Sunday, April 3, 2011, at Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home. 
Richard was born November 29, 1935 in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and grew up in Blackstone, Massachusetts, the first son of Vinton and Claire Hood. He married Rosemary Morris February 15, 1958 in Orange, California, celebrating fifty years of marriage in 2008. Richard lived in Mountain Home since 1989, but was a resident of Arkansas since 1977, relocating from California.
Richard graduated in 1953 from Worcester Boys Trade High School in Worcester, Massachusetts where he trained in industrial machinery, and tool and die. He was employed as a machinist after high school. Later he began a machine shop in California which he ran for several years. Upon moving to Arkansas, he owned and operated Hood Machine and Manufacturing Company; and also the Valve Service Company in Yellville from 1977 to 1989. Richard, along with his wife, Rosemary, also owned and ran Hood General Store in Yellville during the 1980s. He then was the proprietor of Hood Performance Machine, Inc. in Mountain Home from 1989 until he sold the company in 2002. He worked at Sherwin Williams in Mountain Home until he retired in 2010. Richard enjoyed family and friends, classic cars, car races, handy work, camping, waterskiing, and spending summers relaxing on the family’s boat on Lake Norfork. In the 1960s, he belonged to a bowling team. He was recently a member of the Classic Chevy Club of North Arkansas. He was a parishioner of St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church for 33 years.
Mr. Hood is survived by his six children: Linda Sims of Corona, California; Lori Hood of Mountain Home; Brian Hood of Springfield, Missouri; Bruce Hoodswain of Plano, Texas; Alan Hood of West Plains, Missouri; and Allison Menke of Haslet, Texas; thirteen grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; brother Dr. Wayne Hood of Nevada City, California; and brother Neil Hood of Tigard, Oregon. He is predeceased by his wife Rosemary Hood.
A Memorial Mass will be held at 10:00 A.M. Saturday, April 9 at St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church with Reverend Innocent Okore as celebrant. The family expresses gratitude to all who befriended, helped, and loved Richard throughout his lifetime. In memory of Richard, it is requested that a donation of a good deed be given to a neighbor.


Kelley said...

Your uncle sounds like a wonderful man! He had a big family.

Jenn said...

So sorry about your uncle. Sounded like a wonderful man. I love that last line in his obituary!