Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

016 – When Tuna Doesn’t Work

015

For the past month our poor little kitty has been fighting a urinary tract infection.  The first round we did Amoxicillin (liquid).  To medicate her, I’d have to wrap her in a towel and hold her while Dave used a dropper to give her the meds.  “Holly” is almost 12 years old and I guess her age has made it a little harder to fight the infection.  So, last week, I had her back at the vet for round two. 

This time, the vet gave her a different antibiotic, which meant giving her pills.  The first two days, I held her and got the pills down her throat by myself, but it took several tries.  So, on the third day, when David came home in time to help, I was overjoyed.  Little did I know it would be WORSE!  He didn’t have any patience for the cat.  She got upset and we both ended up with bit fingers! (which totally affected my texting prowess!)

The next day, we crushed up the pills and “hid” them in some tuna.  But, she caught on to that and we were barely successful at getting her to eat it.  So, I went to PetCo to look for a "cat piller".  They didn’t have one, but they did have these “Pill Pockets”.  I just hide the little pills in them, put them in her bowl with a couple pieces of feed, and she eats them… none the wiser.

Too bad they didn’t have something like that when I was a kid and got “worms” … all us kids had to take this gawdawful blood-red medicine because of me.  That didn’t go over well with all my siblings! I don’t know how many times I got punched or yelled at when we all had to line up and take it.

7 comments:

Kayla said...

how smart is that!?!

those last few sentences gave me quite the giggle!

i'm off to bed...getting pretty groggy. YES! sleep tight, birthday girl! :)

The Garners said...

Love the title of this post! :)

Kelley said...

Those pill pockets are a good trick. Too bad they don't have things like that for humans. Or do they? MK doesn't like to take medicine either.

Susie said...

That's neat! Glad you found a solution.

Kyla @ The Simpsons said...

hahahah!!! I can just imagine the wrath you had to endure!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

You are too funny! Wonder if "pill pockets" would have worked on your siblings. :) blessings, marlene

Chris said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love finding new blog buds! And you do NOT look over 40, you look awesome and no more than 30! ME? LOL I am over 50 and in the last year, have gained 8 lbs. so I am headed out to ride my horses in hopes that I can get the buz to start losing weight! I blame it on going back to college and having to sit and do all my work! Now it is almost over, I do not have anything to blame! :)So glad to meet you! I will put you on my side bar and follow you! :)