Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

102 – It Could ALWAYS Be Worse

102

Since Monday morning (until late this afternoon), we have had several men resurfacing the pavement of the parking lot at the church.  They’ve worked LONG days in the worst heat we’ve had in I don’t know how long.

For most of this week, our local Subway Restaurant has been without air conditioning… it has gotten to 105 degrees inside as the workers try to serve their customers.

I called Jamie and Micaela’s mom yesterday afternoon late and she was still in the hay field!!

* * * * * *

I am blessed to have an air conditioned office that I’m actually cold in.

On a daily basis I think about my children and the joy they bring to my heart. I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without the love that I have for them.

I have a husband who is a hard working man.  He has been faithful to a job for over 32 years, leaves his day job and goes to work at our farm (in this heat as well as extreme cold) and then works out at the gym for an hour and a half five nights a week.  His hands are weathered by hard work, but he has a tender heart toward me and his children.  On his lunch hour, every day, he checks on Ms. Charlsie, our almost 92 year old neighbor who we love dearly.  He sings at the nursing home before Sunday School every Sunday morning without fail.  He helps with the youth on Wednesday nights.  He does for others without anyone ever knowing it (so I’ll tell you).

Why do we get caught in a rut of thinking our lives aren’t rich? That we need more things?  That someone else has it better than us?

Next week, the Preacher will be headed back to India to teach hungry men of God the Word of God so they can pastor their churches more effectively.  He has been to places where the people have NOTHING. They live in cardboard homes and live on less than $100 a month.

And we feel sorry for ourselves and think we have it rough.

I am blessed.

I have a roof over my head.  I have enough food to not only sustain my health, but to expand my waistline (and hips and thighs).  I have two sons that if I think about them deeply enough I truly believe my heart would explode.  I have the sweetest daughter-in-law in the WORLD who is the answer to my desire to have a daughter.  I have a husband who for over 27 years has been faithful to me and who I trust whole-heartedly. I have two parents who have modeled what true love is for over 50 years.  I have TEN siblings that make my life unique and special and interesting and fun.  I have true friends. And I even have a sweet little dog (who’s cuddled up next to me even as I type) that is changing me into a “dog person”.  And that’s only a glimpse of the things I’m thankful for…

It’s funny what watching a few men work in the extreme heat will make you aware of.

12 comments:

Kimberley said...

What a touching post. Very lovely! I loved the comment about your sons and daughter-in-law. Even though my boys are 3yrs and 8wks, I pray every night for a godly woman they call wife and in turn I gain a daughter. :) All the things you mentioned about your husband was so sweet. You are right, we are blessed.

His Doorkeeper said...

Great post and my sentiments exactly. I feel so ashamed of myself anytime I act "put out" by inconveniences that are so lame I shouldn't even mention them. God has blessed us "abundantly above all we could ask or think" and we still whine. God forgive us and grant us mercy!

Jenn said...

Beautiful post! We are such blessed people and should take nothing for granted. Thank you for that reminder!

Kayla said...

I loved reading this!! I've been taking time out of each day to thank God for everything and everyone He has brought into our lives. We are very, very blessed!

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YALL!!!!!!!!!!!1

Becky said...

WOW.....Jacquie, I LOVE this post! We do have sooooo much to be thankful for don't we? And I love that Dave has such a tender heart and that he looks out not only for his family, but also Mrs. Charlsie!

Kelley said...

That is so beautifully written! You are such a special person. You have such a wonderful outlook on life and are such a blessing.

Angie said...

This post blessed my heart. Thank you. I'm so glad I found your blog. It sounds like you have an incredible husband. And I bet you are an incredible wife and mother. God bless you!

Susie said...

I love this post Jacquie. We are really blessed and so many don't even realize it. Thanks for the reminders of blessings.

Lauren said...

I loved this Jacquie….. So true and SO much to be thankful for. Thanks for the reminder!!! :)

Dorothy said...

You DO have a lot to be thankful for! We ALL do, if we just stop and think about it! I hope we remember to thank God for all of our blessings!

Anonymous said...

I too am so very blessed. Americans, in general, tend to concentrate on what they don't have (the latest cell phone, purse, etc.) instead of looking at what they do have. I am guilty of opening the refrigerator and complaining about how many leftovers are in there, etc., and then I'm reminded of how many people in this world wished that they had too much food. Thank you for this post. I've enjoyed it and it's definitely thought-provoking : )

Karen in MD

StitchinByTheLake said...

Well said! And your husband - what a wonderful warrior for God! Even better than having the blessings, I think, is to know that you have them. :) blessings, marlene